Have you ever wondered where your pup roams whenever you let them outside? Do they sometimes visit your neighbors for treats or to play with their dog? Well, there’s a way you can find out and also create some memories when you’re out and about with your furry friend. We dove into the best dog collar camera so you can capture those special moments and make sure your pet stays safe.
- LINK AKC SMART DOG COLLAR: The only GPS and activity tracker you will ever need to keep your...
- SERVICE PLAN: Link AKC is like a smart phone for your dog & requires service plan connectivity...
There are many different kinds of monitors you can get for your pooch. There are pet monitors just like baby monitors for the house as well as treat dispensers and ways to keep in touch with your furry friend throughout the day while you’re at work. However, there are some products that have a camera attached to a collar or harness. Or, the camcorder is a clip on and can be attached to the collar or harness. That’s what we’ll be looking at today – the best dog collar camera for your pet.
Top 5 Rated Best Dog Collar Camera
|Recommendation||Best Dog Collar Camera|
|Top Choice||Link AKC Smart Dog Collar - GPS Location Tracker,...|
|Runner Up||DOGTEK Eyenimal Cat Video Camera with Built-In...|
|Budget Choice||Uncle Milton - National Geographic - Pet's Eye...|
|Best GPS Tracking||BLACK+DECKER Smart Dog Collar, GPS Tracker, 2-Way...|
|Best Simple Camera||Digital Pet Collar Cam Camera DVR Video Recorder...|
Our Top Pick: Link AKC Smart Dog Collar with GPS Tracker & Activity Monitor
Our top pick on this list is the Link AKC Smart Dog Collar. This is a stylish collar for your pooch that comes in either leather or sport, which has stretch fabric and reflective bands. A camcorder is attached to the front of the collar so you can get a pet’s eye view of what your furry friend is seeing during their adventures, whether they’re hiking beside you or they’re romping around in the back yard.
This product is an awesome collar camcorder because not only does it come with the camera it allows you to record what your dog is seeing. It also store vet records in case your pup gets lost. In addition, there’s a GPS tracking system within the collar that works with iOS and Android so that, should you lose your furry friend, you’ll be able to easily find them as long as you have the service plan required to use the GPS features.
- Available in seven size options
- There are two material choices – leather or sport
- Sport material has reflective bands for nighttime use
- Record photos and videos with your pup
- Temperature alerts straight to your phone if it’s too hot or too cold outside for your pooch
- LED lighting plus store vet records
- Battery life lasts up to three days
- GPS tracker for iOS and Android
- GPS only works with how well your cell phone signal is
- A service plan is required to use the GPS features
Our Runner-Up Pick: Eyenimal Cat Videocam
- 736x480 Video resolution with audio
- 2 Recording modes including motion detection
I know what you’re thinking – the name of this product is for cats. However, it’s a videocam from Dogtek, which is a company that makes a variety of pet products for dogs as well as cats. This particular camcorder is lightweight and small in size, which makes it perfect for small breeds of dogs. If it fits on a cat, then it’ll fit on a smaller pup. This is a clip-on camera that can attach to your pup’s collar or their harness, however you want it to fit.
This collar camera is our runner up choice because it has both video and audio so that you can talk to your pooch through the camcorder. If you lose sight of them, you can talk to them through their own collar and, hopefully, they’ll come running back as soon as they hear your voice say, “Come!” If instead, you have a furry friend who’s an explorer and a bit stubborn to those commands, the camcorder also records video so that you can see where they are and go get them if need be.
- Clip-on camera
- Great for any sized dogs, but lightweight enough for small breeds
- Video and audio
- There are two recording modes plus motion detection
- Night vision is included going up to seven feet
- The battery lasts about 2.5 hours
- Lithium-ion battery is rechargeable
- Attach to collar or harness – collar and harness is not included
Best Budget Pick: Uncle Milton – National Geographic – Pet’s Eye View Camera
- Clip-on lightweight, Digital compact camera for dogs and cats!
- See what your pet does when you're not around
Our budget choice for the best dog collar camera is this product from Uncle Milton. It’s a pet’s eye view camera that is super affordable, however, it’s not as fancy as some of the other collar camcorders on this list. On the other hand, if you’re looking to just have a little bit of fun and take some pictures through your furry companion’s eye view, then this is the perfect camcorder to spend a few dollars on. It’s a clip-on camera for your pup’s collar or harness. It’s lightweight and easy to use.
This is a fun product to use if you’re just looking to see what you’re pooch sees throughout the day. If they’re exploring in the back yard and begin to chase after something, you can snap a photo and take a look at what they’re looking at as they run through the yard excitedly. It’s light enough that it shouldn’t bother your pooch while they run around with it attached to their collar or harness.
- Clip-on camera to collar or harness (harness and collar are not included)
- Pictures are taken in 640 x 480 resolution
- Camera stores up to about 40 photos at a time
Best GPS Tracking: BLACK+DECKER Smart Dog Collar
- GPS & Activity Tracking - Always know the exact location of your best friend with precise GPS!...
- Customizable Geofence Zones - Use the app to trace safety zones around your yard or favorite...
As dog owners, we all want a little peace of mind when we can’t be around our pet. Sometimes we let them outside, and they roam around the neighborhood. Other times, if you’re on vacation or a business trip and can’t take your pup with you, you have them either in a kennel or a dog-sitter. If they’re home without you, it’s handy to have a GPS tracker, so you know where they are and what they’re doing. This dog collar camera is a great product that gives you some peace of mind as well as allows you to see through their eyes and have a bit of fun with it.
The product is designed with your dog’s health and safety in mind. If you have a lost dog, this collar will be able to find them in a snap – as long as you have the 2G coverage it requires in order for it to work. On the plus side, there is an invisible fence option so that you can allow your dog more freedom without a shock collar or real fence. If your pooch goes out of the invisible barrier, then the collar will alert you, and you’ll know where they’re headed. Plus, this collar is water resistant, so you don’t have to worry about it raining on your pup while they’re outside – you can still call them back with the 2-way audio.
- Sleek design that comes in two different color options
- Designed for medium dogs and large dogs
- Customize an invisible fence to allow your pup more freedom and alert you when they go out of bounds
- Two-way audio so you can hear your furry friend and they can hear you
- Water resistant
- Includes a virtual dog tag using OLED
- GPS tracking and activity monitoring
- Must need 2G coverage to work
Best Simple Camera: Digital Pet Collar Cam Camera
- Digital Pet Collar Cam Camera Mini Video Recorder
- Eyes from your pet to see the world
One of the simplest collar cameras that’s on this list as well as one of the products that’s more on the affordable side, is this digital pet collar cam camera from Puhui Digital. This product comes with a clip-on camera as well a collar to attach it to. The camcorder can take photos and also record videos. It runs on a polymer lithium battery that lasts about 1.5 hours. However, it’s rechargeable and comes with a USB port to plug right into the camcorder. The lens angle of the camera is about 65-degrees, so you can see a decent amount of what you’re pooch sees.
The photos are taken in JPEG format while the videos are taken as an AVI format. However, the way these pictures and videos are stored are by the use of a micro SD card. The camcorder comes with a USB cable and a collar, though the micro SD card is sold separately. So, if you want this to work, then you need to buy the micro SD card as well.
- Clip-on camera, collar, and USB cable included
- Micro SD card not included
- It takes photos as well as records videos
- Battery life is about 1.5 hours but is rechargeable
When it comes to looking for the best dog collar camera for your pet, there are some things you should be mindful about. Ask yourself, will your pooch be comfortable with a camera attached to their collar or harness? The camcorders are typically lightweight so that it shouldn’t bother them, but you also don’t want your pup to think it’s a chew toy and trying to fling it off. In addition, there are a few other things to think about, but, in the end, getting a dog’s eye view camcorder is a cool idea.
Why Buy A Collar Camera
Find Lost Dogs
Most of the camcorders on this list not only record photos and videos so that you can share memories with your furry friend, they also have a GPS tracking system. As long as you have the coverage and are subscribed to the subscription plan that most of the GPS trackers need in order to work, you should be able to find your lost dog with ease should they escape the yard.
Check In On Them Throughout The Day
In addition, you can check in on your furry companion throughout the day if you have to be at work all day long or are on a business trip and won’t be home for a little while. The device is normally hooked up to an app on iOS or Android so you can easily check in and see what your pooch is doing while you’re out of the house. Also, some of the camcorders have two-way audio so that you’re able to talk to your pup as well.
If you enjoy taking long walks, hiking, or bring your pooch on vacation with you, then having a dog collar camera is a great idea. You can take photos from how they view the world on top of a mountain and cherish it forever. Plus, it’s a lot of fun to see where their nose tends to be throughout the majority of the day.
Before You Buy
Check The Camera Compatibility
Most of the cameras that have activity monitoring or GPS tracking require a certain iOS or Android plan. You need to have a certain amount of coverage, have to be connected to the wifi, or have service with a specific phone company or a subscription plan with them. For example, if you have coverage from Verizon, you wouldn’t want to buy a dog collar camera that requires AT&T coverage. Unless you’d be willing to switch companies like that, the camcorder would end up being a waste for you.
Check Your Dog’s Comfort
As mentioned earlier, some pups may think the camera is a chew toy for them. They may not be comfortable having a camera dangling down in front of them attached to their collar, no matter how lightweight or out of the way it seems. Not to mention, if you decide to attach a camera to the back of their harness, they may feel funny. The first couple of times you use the camcorder, be sure to stay with your pooch for a bit. This way you can see how they react to having the camera attached to them, and you can allow them to get used to it.
Frequently Asked Questions
When it comes to buying a collar camera, be sure to check how long the battery lasts, what features it has (GPS, audio, etc.), and also how it attaches. Some you can clip onto the collar or chest of the harness or the back of their harness.
There are most likely pros and cons to both of these options. A microchip will work regardless of whether a GPS signal, while it’ll send straight to your phone, may also go out of range or lose connection depending on your wifi or signal strength.
It’s possible your pup may lose the camera. If it’s attached to the collar, then most likely not, but if it’s a clip-on, then it might get lose and fall off. However, they’re pretty sturdy so they should have a good grip. On the other hand, if your pup does lose the camera, if you have a GPS tracking on it, then you’ll know where to find it and get it back.
Other Best Dog Collar Cameras We Reviewed
- The Best Dog Harness Cameras
Best Dog Harness Cameras
Kurgo Dog Harness with Camera Mount
- Dog harness with options for mounting an active camera to chest or back
- Works with GoPro and Sony Action Cam active cameras (sold separately)
This dog harness from Kurgo, which is a brand known for making pet products, has a camera mount on the chest. The cameras that are compatible with this harness, and fit it the best are GoPro and Sony Action Cam, which are sold separately. However, if you have a camera at home already then this harness may be worth the buy.
- Dog harness comes in small or large
- Mount for camera on the chest
- Works with two camera types – GoPro and Sony Action Cam
- Padded chest for comfort
- Five adjustment points for the camera
- Easy to get on and off your pooch as well to take the camera on and off
SmilePowo Dog Harness
- 【Dog Perspective】- The action camera dog harness features camera mounts on the back and...
- 【Large Compatibility】- Perfectly work with GoPro HERO7, GoPro HERO6, GoPro 5 Session, GoPro...
This is another dog harness that has an attachment spot for a dog camera. You can also use a collar instead of the harness if you wish. However, this harness is an adjustable fit with camera mounts on the chest as well as the back. It’s made with nylon oxford, denim, and breathable mesh for ultimate comfort for your pup as they carry around the camera.
- Mounts for the camera on the chest and back
- Can be used with a collar
- Works with many cameras (check the product to see which ones)
- Weatherproof and easy to wash
- The harness is easy to take on and off
Jiguoor PULUZ Hound Dog Harness
- 【DESIGN COMFORT】: 100% brand new and quality guaranteed. The dog chest strap gopro dog...
- 【DOG PERSPECTIVES】The action camera dog harness features camera mounts on the back and...
This is another dog harness that is perfect to hold a dog camera. It has a cotton lining and stretch bands to fit small, medium, and large pups. This product is comfortable and breathable as well as waterproof and easy to clean. Many different types of cameras can be used with this harness and there are two places the camera can go – the chest or the back.
- Can fit small, medium, and large dogs
- Washable and waterproof
- Cotton lining and stretch bands that are comfy and breathable
- Easy on and off
- Compatible with many kinds of cameras
- Two camera mounts on the chest and on the back
Conclusion – Best Dog Collar Camera
Having a collar camera for your furry friend isn’t such a bad idea. You can keep an eye on them when you’re not home, or you let them roam around yourself. In addition, you can record what they see and view the world from their eyes making memories and sharing funny photos.
Do you give your pup a pet’s eye view camera? What brand do you use? Let us know in the comments below!