Last Updated on by
If you have a dog that really likes to chew then you may have found it challenging to find a treat that is natural, durable and actually lasts longer than an hour! Quality treats that last don’t have to cost a lot but at the same time you can expect to pay more per treat than the less expensive pig ears, elk antler, meaty bones, and rawhide bones that are so popular.
Scout has found some of the best dog bones for aggressive chewers. These long-lasting treats are great for strengthening your dog’s teeth and gums and preventing periodontal disease. It is important when making a decision on treats to follow some basic guidelines as well. Our favorite is the Nylabone Healthy Edible bone, which comes in a variety of sizes from small to large for power chewers of any weight.
- What to Look Out For
- Does Breed Matter?
- 1. Best Bully Sticks 12″ Odor-Free Angus
- 2. Nylabone Healthy Edibles
- 3. Deer Antlers
- 4. Jack & Pup 6″ Bully Sticks
- 5. Natural Himalayan Yak Chew
- 6. Braided Bully Stick
- 7. Holesome Valley Pork Roll Dog Chews
- 8. Barkworthies Root Chew
- 9. Earth Animal No-Hide Chicken Chews
- 10. Natural Cow Hooves
- Homemade Dog Treats and Chews
- Benefits of a Good Chew
What to Look Out For
Dogs with strong jaws are much more likely to ingest portions of real bones than dogs who just nibble, which can be a huge choking hazard and wreak havoc on their digestive tract. You should be paying extra close attention to exactly what you’re giving your dog when you consider raw bones.
First, make sure the treat is sized appropriately for your dog. There are a lot of different sizes of treats out there. Small dogs need treats that they can actually get their mouth on without strain. On the other hand, you need to make sure that large dogs have treats that don’t pose a strong choking hazard.
Country of origin
Unfortunately, some countries do not have the same standards dog parent’s would like to see everywhere. You can find the best dog bones in the USA, Canada, and Argentina. Himalayan dog treats have good reputations for quality ingredients.
Cost per treat
Those with multiple dogs may need to consider cost more than others. The actual price tag of a treat can sometimes be misleading because a treat that lasts longer is a better value in the long term even if it is more expensive than you are used to paying.
Cleanliness and odors
Scout has tried to pick out treats and chews that have no odors, stains, or other unpleasantness to contribute to your household or cause bad breath. If you have a dog that sometimes loses or hides treats, then this can be an even larger factor.
Does Breed Matter?
When assessing the best dog bones for aggressive chewers and trying to source indestructible dog toys, many dog owners ask if the breed matters. Any type of dog can be a heavy chewer, but some breeds, like pit bulls, have extra strong jaws and can wreak havoc on even the most indestructibe dog toys. On the other hand, a small breed might not have the same bite force as a pit bull, but they can do damage to their toys easily enough.
When you are looking for dog chew toys for your lightweight heavy chewer, you want to be sure they can’t do any damage to their tiny teeth. Little dogs love chewing on tennis balls and rope toys (but be sure not to pull!), but harder things, like elk antlers, could do some damage.
If you have large dogs, you’ll want truly indestructible dog toys for aggressive chewers. Otherwise, they may splinter or break and be ingested, causing damage in their digestive tract. Regardless of what breed of dog you have, pay attention to their teeth and ensure their toys don’t get damaged to the point where they cause harm. Keeping an eye out for broken teeth also gives you an opportunity to check for plaque and tartar, while prioritizing periodental health.
These 12-inch bully sticks are made to last a long time, even with larger dogs that really try to chew up their treats as fast as possible. These 100% natural treats come from free range grass fed cattle. Unlike some chews, these do not have an odor so if your dog stays inside with you part of the time, they can chew on this treat without worrying about bad breath. No artificial dyes or other ingredients means no stains on your floor, your dog, or you!
- 100% All-Natural Angus Beef: Our bully sticks are made from high-quality, free-range, grass-fed...
- Promotes Dental Health: Durable and long-lasting, our bully sticks scrape away tartar and...
Most dog owners are familiar with Nylabone for their synthetic dog treats but they actually have a big range of treats to meet the needs of dogs from all backgrounds and all sizes. These long-lasting buffalo and venison bones for dogs are guaranteed to be splinter-free for a safe chewing experience free of choking hazards. These chews are made in the USA and will not grow mold so if your dog decides to bury a treat or loses one around your house you don’t have to worry about the mess and smell that some traditional bone chews can exhibit under the right conditions.
Deer antler and elk antler is naturally shed each year, so antler chews are a sustainable and renewable source of healthy dog chews. Antler chews last a very long time with even the most enthusiastic power chewers out there. Antlers are available in different sizes for the comfort of your dog.
- 100% All Natural, Long Lasting Deer Antlers for Dogs
- Tastier and healthier than nylon bones and rawhides
These bully sticks are 6 inches long but thicker than a lot of other brands meaning they are going to last a power chewer a lot longer than thinner versions of the same length. No preservatives or artificial ingredients in these treats and they are made in the USA.
- HIGH QUALITY DOG TOY - 100% made with high quality nylon webbing, which is non-toxic and safe...
- A CUTE GREEN LOLLIPOP - Due to the vibrant color of this toy (7.6"x3.5"), it is an attractive...
Himalayan Yak sticks have increased in popularity over the years. Made from yak, cow milk, lime, and salt, these sticks last a long time and they offer a different flavor experience for dogs.
- ONE MASSIVE DOG CHEW (approx. 6-7 ounces) made in the mountains of the Himalayas by local...
- 100% NATURAL containing NO artificial ingredients, NO preservatives, NO gluten or grain, and NO...
This is perhaps the ultimate bully stick because it is braided and super thick for a long-lasting and enjoyable chewing experience. These sticks are made from natural beef, giving the same experience as beef bones. While the price is in the $13-$15 range you have to realize that is 8 regular bully sticks braided together.
- Made from intertwining 8 DIFFERENT BULLY STICKS, the Monster Braid has all the benefits of...
- Contains NO artificial ingredients, NO hormones, and NO chemicals. These all-natural giant beef...
Pork rolls are a less expensive alternative to the bully stick. They are not as tough so they will get chewed through a little faster but they are still a lot better than pig ears or rawhide bones that seem to get chewed up in no time at all. You get a full dozen treats so this pack is going to last awhile.
- MADE & SOURCED IN USA ONLY: Our Premium All Natural handmade chews are 100% sourced and made in...
- ALL NATURAL NO ADDITIVES OR PRESERVATIVES; Our pork hide dog chews unlike most beefhide chews...
For those that are trying to avoid rawhide bones and raw meaty bones, there is this unique natural chew alternative. This chew is made from wood from the Araack tree that never splinters. If you have one of those dogs that like to chew on sticks and wood, then this might be a good option.
Chicken bones are a no-no for dogs but these bones offer all that chicken flavor without all the danger. These 100% digestible chews are rolled, cooked, and dried for a long lasting and delicious treat.
Natural cow hooves are an affordable and long-lasting treat for your dog. These single ingredient treats will provide many hours of chewing entertainment. These are fairly large treats so they may not be the best choice for smaller dogs.
- Our natural Cow Hooves for dogs are MADE IN THE USA to ensure the healthiest and safest...
- Each cow hoof is made with NO artificial ingredients, NO hormones, and NO chemicals. These...
Homemade Dog Treats and Chews
If the best dog bones listed above don’t appeal, you can take a DIY approach to dealing with your power chewer.
- Dog owners can look for durable dog toys, such as the famous Kong, and fill it with peanut butter for hours of chewing entertainment.
- Consider visiting the local butcher to pick up some raw meaty bones or beef bones to give your dog a fresh treat for their teeth.
- Pet owners who are also hunters can make the most of the animals which they hunt, by saving a deer antler or elk antler for their dog to chew on.
- You can bake hardened homemade dog treats with peanut butter for small dogs who think they’re the Alpha of the pack when it comes to chewing.
As with anything, be creative when looking at DIY options and be sure to take care of your dog’s teeth.
Benefits of a Good Chew
Good chews provide entertainment and help keep your dog’s mouth, teeth and gums clean and healthy. Healthy gums are of the utmost importance when preventing periodontal disease and other illnesses stemming from abscessed or splintered teeth. The Veterinary Oral Health Council recommends regularly using dental bones and dental chews, as well as using healthy dog treats for rewards. Be sure to brush your dog’s teeth often, to keep those power chewing teeth clean. Not only does this prevent bad breath, but it helps pet owners deal with their future senior dogs and offset the degradation of their teeth over time.
If your dog has sensitivities and can only eat grain-free dog food, ensure any treats or chewers you provide your dog with are free of fillers. There are lots of great bones for dogs that don’t use anything damaging, beyond the basic raw bones.
Providing quality chews for your dog will help curb destructive behaviors. Sometimes behavior comes down to just pure boredom. Dental health is often something that is overlooked in dogs. You can take care of both of these problems so easily with the list of long-lasting treats Scout has looked at for you!