Last Updated on by
It is pretty clear that American Journey is going the extra mile to offer a competitively priced grain-free dog food. Scout definitely recommends this dog food to dog parents that are looking to go grain free, have dogs with allergies or skin conditions, and those that are feeding a raw or cooked diet primarily but want a nutritious kibble for those times when raw or cooked at home meals are not possible.
- Deboned salmon, chicken meal, and turkey meal are the first ingredients which means your dog is getting a lot of high-quality proteins. At 32% protein, this is a great dog food for maintaining lean muscle mass and perfect for active dogs.
- High levels of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids
- Great for dogs that have allergies or skin conditions. Salmon offers oils that can prevent dry and flaking skin in breeds like Labrador Retrievers. Plus there is extra fish oil added. This helps your pooch have an extra shiny coat.
- Totally free of corn, wheat, and soy so dogs with sensitive stomachs can more easily digest this quality dog food.
- Sweet potatoes add some sweetness and starch to this high protein food so your dog can enjoy a fabulous flavor combination. This is important if your dog is used to dog foods that are sweet due to the addition of corn.
- No artificial colors or flavors, just quality food for your canine family member
- Good value for such a high-quality food and a viable alternative to some prescription only dog foods for allergies and stomach issues.
- Not as widely available at brick and mortar retailers so you may need to just order online. Setting up automatic deliveries can offer a lot of savings and ensure that you never run short.
- Like any grain-free dog food, it costs more than conventional dog foods which may be hard for some to budget that have multiple pets. At the same time, you feed less so the cost is not as much as you might think at first.
- Some pet parents report that their picky eater dogs do not like it. This is a risk with any dog food though if you have a picky eater. You can always buy the smaller 4 lb or 12 lb bags to try it out if you have a dog that can be particular about food.
Deboned Salmon, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Peas, Sweet Potatoes,
Chickpeas, Pea Protein, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols),
Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Flaxseed, Menhaden Fish Meal,
Blueberries, Carrots, Salt, Salmon Oil, Dried Kelp,
Fructooligosaccharides, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Mixed
Tocopherols (Natural Preservative), Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate,
Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin
Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium
Pantothenate, Copper Proteinate, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganese
Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A
Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic
Acid, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Dried Bacillus coagulans
Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract.
Pet food ingredients, nutritional values, and the way they are labeled for consumers are monitored by several organizations in the United States including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the NGO, Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
Each year the AAFCO publishes two sets of nutritional minimum standards for dog food intended to help specify if a food is suitable for:
1. Dogs in the growth & reproduction phases of life
2. Adult dogs maintaining a healthy weight and activity level
3,580 kcal/kg, 430 kcal/cup
|Nutritional Component||Value||Meets AAFCO Growth & Reproduction Standards||Meets AAFCO Adult Maintenance Standards|
|CRUDE PROTEIN||32.0% min||–||–|
|CRUDE FAT||14.0% min||–||–|
|CRUDE FIBER||5.0% max||–||–|
|DOCOSAHEXAENOIC ACID (DHA)||0.1% min||–||–|
|ZINC||140 mg/kg min|
|SELENIUM||0.35 mg/kg min|
|VITAMIN E||150 IU/kg min|
|OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS||2.5% min|
|OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS||0.7% min|
|GLUCOSAMINE||600 mg/kg min|
|CHONDROITIN SULFATE||500 mg/kg min||–||–|
* – indicates not yet analyzed
Depending on your dog’s size and activity level, they may need more or less food in their daily feeding amounts.
|Weight||Daily Feeding (Cups)|
|20 LBS||1 1/3|
|30 LBS||1 3/4|
|40 LBS||2 1/4|
|50 LBS||2 2/3|
|70 LBS||3 1/3|
|80 LBS||3 3/4|
|90 LBS||4 1/4|
|100 LBS||4 1/2|
- Feed approximately 1/3 cup for every 10 lbs over 100 lbs of body weight.
- Puppies may require 2 – 3 times the Adult feeding amounts. For
pregnant or nursing dogs, we recommend free – choice feeding. Always
provide plenty of fresh water.
Gradually transition by adding a small
amount of American Journey to your dog’s current diet, gradually
reducing the amount of the current diet and increasing the amount of
American Journey for 7 – 10 days until the transition is complete. For
sensitive dogs, we recommend a 10 – 14 day transition.
American Journey is a top quality producer of grain free dog food that offers a good value. Dogs with sensitive skin or stomach issues could benefit from this being their main kibble. Scout recommends setting up auto delivery of this dog food for additional savings. Another advantage of this formula is that it can be fed to dogs at all stages of life so if you get a new puppy or have a pregnant or nursing dog, there is no need to get another formulation or brand.