Last Updated on by
Great Danes and other Giant Breed dogs are very large and powerful. Finding a good quality collar that can withstand regular use can be challenging if you don’t understand what to look for.
Here are our top picks and some things you should consider when picking out the perfect collar for your giant breed dog.
- Neck 18"-26", Width 1", Size Large; The collar does not stretch itself, please make sure leave...
- The collar is not for tie out. NEVER leave your dog unattended with a collar on. This collar is...
One basic things to keep in mind before we get into it is that extra large male and female dog collars don’t differ a whole lot in terms of size or design.
Most giant breed males and females don’t differ a whole lot in overall size, with fully grown females usually averaging only slightly smaller than a full grown males.
- 5 Top Rated Collars for Great Danes & Other Giant-Breeds
- Our Top Pick: Blueberry Pet Reflective Classic Fashion
- Our Runner-Up Pick: The Soft Touch Leather Padded Collar
- Best Budget Pick: Country Brook Petz Premium Nylon Dog Collar
- Best Collar For Great Dane Puppy: Max and Neo
- Collar Size for Great Dane Puppies
- Walking a Great Dane Puppy
- Best Training Collar for Great Danes: Mighty Paw Martingale Nylon
- Great Dane Leash Training
- Best Great Dane Puppy Training Collar
- Best Training Shock Collar for Giant Breed Dogs: PetTech PT0Z1 Premium
- Best Personalized Collar For Great Danes: Gotags Custom Embroidered w/Pet Name & Phone Number
- Buyer’s Guide
- Other Dog Collars We Reviewed
5 Top Rated Collars for Great Danes & Other Giant-Breeds
Our Top Pick: Blueberry Pet Reflective Classic Fashion
We love Blueberry Pet collars because they are tough, stylish, affordable, and adjustable.
This collar fits neck sizes from 18″-26″ which means you can get one when your Dane is a young adult and it will expand plenty to meet their future growth needs.
The fun selection of colors and the 3M reflective striping make this a practical collar for those that like to take their dog for walks or just want to make sure that they are visible in case they get loose and get in the road.
Our Runner-Up Pick: The Soft Touch Leather Padded Collar
- XL COLLAR - FITS DOG NECK SIZE 22 to 25 INCHES - Width is 1.75 inches - Total Length of Collar...
- NEED A PLACE FOR DOG TAGS? No problem, we have you covered with a built in small ring next to...
If you have considered a custom leather dog collar but are worried about rubbing and chaffing, then this soft padded one is just what you and your Great Dane need for durability and comfort.
This is a mid-priced collar but it offers very high quality and comes in a variety of colors. These are so stylish that you may want to get one of several colors so you can mix it up once in awhile!
Overall leather dog collars and leashes we find are a great value for what you get in durability.
Best Budget Pick: Country Brook Petz Premium Nylon Dog Collar
- 1 INCH | Adjustable from 18 in - 26 in. Always measure for correct size. Measure around your...
- 25 COLOR OPTIONS | Personalize your pup with 25 rich, fashionable colors and mirror like metal...
This adjustable collar fits necks 18-26″ making it a good choice for large Great Dane puppies and young adult dogs. It comes in 20 different colors and is made in the USA.
Overall this is a great basic collar for your Great Dane or Giant Breed Dog.
Best Collar For Great Dane Puppy: Max and Neo
- YOUR PURCHASE HELPS A DOG RESCUE: For every collar sold, we donate an identical collar to a dog...
- DOG RESCUES: Each month we donate to different rescues throughout the USA. At the end of every...
The Max and Neo Collar is great for puppies because it offers a very secure buckling set up. You have a double buckle to make sure that this collar doesn’t come loose during play or when your Great Dane sees that pesky squirrel on your daily walk.
This nylon collar has reflective properties for safety, and you can get a wide range of sizes. The XL is affordable and fits a 22″-26″ neck.
Every purchase of a Max and Neo includes a donation to a rescue charity!
Collar Size for Great Dane Puppies
Even giant breed puppies can have large necks compared to a medium and large size breeds. We recommend going with 18-22” as the low end of sizing for your giant breed puppy. This should fit the puppy’s neck and if this is the low end for the collar it should expand larger as your puppy grows.
Read more about measuring your dog’s neck and Giant Breed neck sizes below later in this article..
Walking a Great Dane Puppy
When it comes to walks, you’ll need a collar that can control but not irritate your puppy. We like the Max and Neo collar because the wide fabric reduced rubbing on your puppy’s neck and the reflective nature makes your puppy easy to see if you’re walking your dog at night.
When looking for any collar (and especially for a puppy) one thing to make sure of is that whichever one you end up with has a good quality leash attachment.
Best Training Collar for Great Danes: Mighty Paw Martingale Nylon
- EXTREMELY DURABLE: We made this dog collar for your rough and tumble pup. Mighty Paw knows...
- TWO COLLARS IN ONE: You only need one collar now. We designed this martingale-style collar with...
We like the Mighty Paw Martingale collar most overall for training because the martingale tightens as your dog pulls and loosens when they stay close, teaching your dog by experience to stay close to you when walking.
We like the Mighty Paw Martingale because the fabric material is more comfortable for your dog than a choke chain version and the modified cinch on the collar allows you to loosen or tighten the overall capacity of the collar for more precise training.
Great Dane Leash Training
Leash training is a big part of any training regime. There are several training collar designs you can choose for leash training but we like and recommend the martingale above other designs like shock collars because it’s self experiential – meaning the dog can test and learn how far away from the walker starts to get uncomfortable.
The other big piece of equipment for leash training is the leash. Check out our recommendations for the best Great Dane leashes and other large dog leashes here.
Best Great Dane Puppy Training Collar
Training a dog is easiest and best when they’re a puppy. The smallest size of the Mighty Paw Martingale Nylon collar is 22” which should be small enough for your great dane or other giant breed puppy.
Best Training Shock Collar for Giant Breed Dogs: PetTech PT0Z1 Premium
- THE ULTIMATE DOG TRAINING COLLAR - Immensely Popular, Fully Waterproof E-Collar used by Expert...
- HUGE LCD REMOTE WITH ADJUSTABLE SHOCK AND 4 MODES - 1-100 Level of Customization for both the...
Some prefer a shock collar when training because the flexibly in settings allows for a wide range of training uses.
If you’re going for a shock trainer we recommend the PetTech PT0Z1 Premium Collar because it has a wide array of settings which can be used to correct barking, train walking, leash Training, sitting, aggression, and other behavioral obedience.
This specific collar is fully waterproof and has a range of up to 1200 feet.
PetTech is a great brand we would recommend overall.
I’ve been asked before ‘Do shock collars work on Great Danes’ and the answer is yes, if you get the right gear it will work for any dog you’re training.
- GREAT IDENTIFICATION FOR YOUR PET. Our strong nylon dog collar comes personalized with your...
- DURABLY MADE WITH COMFORT IN MIND. Made of high-quality nylon webbing, a stainless steel D-ring...
Gotags embroidered come personalized, so you don’t have to worry about ID tags falling off. These are great for dog owners that don’t like tags making noise or for dogs that play rough and tend to lose their tags.
These collars come in many colors and sizes and they are a bargain for any Great Dane no matter what age they are!
Below are some things to consider when making your choice on which collar is right for your Giant Breed friend.
Measuring & Giant Breed Neck Size
Measure well and allow for some fast growth if your Great Dane is a puppy or young adult dog.
During the first 12-18 months of life, your dog is going to grow a lot and at a very fast rate too! If you buy a collar that is too exact of a fit you will find that they outgrow it quickly.
The best way to measure your the neck is to roughly measure where the collar would normally rest and then slide two fingers between your dog’s neck and measuring tape. The extra room allowed for by your fingers will ensure the collar is secure but not too tight.
Overall a collar for a full grown giant breed should be between 19 to 30 inches (19″ – 30″).
Don’t pay a lot for puppy collars. Since they grow so fast, during puppyhood is not the time to invest in designer gear. If you like that type of thing then wait until their growth slows down a little or they are basically grown.
Don’t get them the least expensive collar because that is probably not going to be strong enough to hold up over time.
Harness vs. Collar
Consider a harness if you want more control. Some dogs respond better or are just more comfortable with harnesses. This is true especially if they travel in a car regularly and have to be buckled in.
If your dog pulls a lot, a harness can help with training and stop all that wheezing that can happen when they really want to go and won’t keep a good pace with you. I like harnesses far better than choke collars that seem to be ineffective with too many dogs.
Read our review of the best Great Dane harnesses here.
Leashing Your Dog
Finding a leash to go with the collar is important. A collar that is tough and durable is only half of the equation. You need a leash that can handle a giant dog. Remember that Great Dane’s are not small for long! Scout has a great post to help you find the best leash for a large dog.
Collar Needs Change Over Time
Remember to occasionally check your dog’s collar to make sure it is not causing any skin or hair issues. If you are forced to use a choke chain style for training or bark collar, try to get your dog trained so that you can switch to a regular collar. Remember that training gear is really intended just for that and is not the best long-term solution if you can do something to avoid it.
You may have to try out several different collars or harnesses before you find a style that you and your dog are both comfortable with. Having a larger dog also means more adjustments may be needed during major growth phases.
Other Dog Collars We Reviewed
- Wide collars
- Thick collars
- Padded collars
- MADE FOR EXTENDED WEAR: Lightweight, durable, and made for all-day outdoor adventures; Designed...
- 2 LEASH ATTACHMENT POINTS: Reinforced webbing at chest stands up to pulling and gives...
Ruffwear makes some extremely high-quality gear for dogs. If you need a harness for life’s adventures with your dog then this harness is a bargain that will last a long time and provide supreme comfort. If you are always being pulled by your Dane this harness can help you maintain better control and encourage them to give up the habit altogether. There is a pocket for tucking in your dog’s ID. The strong aluminum rings on the top and the chest give you options for attaching your dog’s leash or restraining when traveling.
- The Freedom No-Pull Harness design minimizes or eliminates pulling, neck strain, and the chance...
- Comfortable and durable. The Freedom harness has a soft Swiss velvet lining on the strap that...
This is an alternative to a padded harness. If your dog prefers wearing less then this harness can take care of that. Just make sure that you adjust it well after he or she wears it for a 10-minute walk. Of course, you should also pay attention to any indication that something is uncomfortable for them at any point. This gives you a chance to stop any rubbing or chaffing ahead of time before they decide they don’t like the harness you bought. The easy clip-in buckles save time while the sturdy top ring allows you to attach your favorite leash and employ the nylon ring attachment to gently yet firmly control your dog.
- Durable 100% leather collar with nickel-plated hardware
- Decorated with studded charm
While this 2-inch wide leather design with studs looks like a super premium, it is very affordable. For those that want a punk or tough dog look for their Great Dane this is a bargain. A thicker design lends more strength and control generally. Just be sure that a collar this thick doesn’t rub their fur too much.. This is suited for dogs that are not in the water very often. If you get this collar just make sure to have one that is not leather for when you hit the lake, river, or ocean with your giant pooch!
- SOFT MESH - The wide soft mesh padding and ergonomic design make this nylon dog collar is...
- 3M REFLECTIVE MATERIAL - Nylon webbing with 3M reflective material ensure good visibility and...
Creation Cores are super comfortable and feature 3M reflective striping. The variety of collars and sizes as well as the quality make these a great choice for Great Dane puppies or adults. The soft mesh is easy on your dog’s skin and it dries out fast if they decide to splash around outside or take a dip with you on a hot weekend. While you can get this model in black, it comes mostly in bright colors that help keep you and your pooch safe while you are out and about.
- Durable Material. K9 dog collar tactical collar is made of high quality and durable nylon...
- Double pin buckle design. This heavy duty dog collar has metal double pin buckle with 5...
This eye-catching collar is made in a military tactical style that is used for training. The double hole design and sturdy nylon construction and stitching are made to hold up to dog’s that like to stay busy outside. If you hit the trail a lot with your dog and want a collar that can stand up to long trips and swimming while providing padded comfort, then this is the one for you. The XL size fits a neck up to 25 inches.