- The 10 Best No-Jump Dog Harnesses For Inspired Dogs - January 9, 2022
- Healing From Within: The Best Dog Foods for Hypothyroidism - January 9, 2022
- Safeguard vs. Panacur (2022 Review & Recall) - January 9, 2022
Merrick is a great brand and this formula holds true to their strong reputation and commitment to quality ingredients. Dogs will enjoy a formula based on a lot of different meat proteins!
- Chicken, turkey, salmon, lamb, and duck give your dog all their favorites in one dog food.
- Grain-free formula means no corn, wheat, soy, or rice.
- Probiotics promote healthy digestion and help your dog get the most out of each and every bite.
- Vitamins and minerals added.
- Blueberries and apples add flavor and antioxidants.
- Gelatin helps provide support for hips and joints.
- Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids from salmon oil.
This is a wonderful dog food that I have no problem recommending. The price point is high enough that I will say that it is not suitable for multiple large breed dogs. You may be able to feed a raw or homecooked diet for less.
Merrick is suitable for dogs that have sensitive stomachs and that need to be on diets that keep ingredients simple and high quality.
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Peas, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Salmon Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Potato Protein, Lamb, Duck, Chicken Liver, Apples, Blueberries, Gelatin, Salt, Organic Dried Alfalfa Meal, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate), Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate), Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casein Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product.
Pet food ingredients, nutritional values, and the way they are labeled for consumers are monitored by several organizations in the United States including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the NGO, Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
Each year the AAFCO publishes two sets of nutritional minimum standards for dog food intended to help specify if a food is suitable for:
1. Dogs in the growth & reproduction phases of life
2. Adult dogs maintaining a healthy weight and activity level
3,660 kcal/kg, 389 kcal/cup
|Nutritional Component||Value||Meets AAFCO Growth & Reproduction Standards||Meets AAFCO Adult Maintenance Standards|
|CRUDE PROTEIN||38.0% min||–||–|
|CRUDE FAT||17.0% min||–||–|
|CRUDE FIBER||3.5% max||–||–|
|OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS||3.0% min|
|OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS||0.3.0% min|
|GLUCOSAMINE||1200 mg/kg min|
|CHONDROITIN SULFATE||1200 mg/kg min|
* – indicates not yet analyzed
Replace your regular dog food with Merrick gradually over a 5-7 day time period.
|Weight||Daily Feeding (cup)|
|15 LBS||1 1/4|
|20 LBS||1 1/2|
|40 LBS||2 1/2|
|60 LBS||3 1/3|
|70 LBS||3 3/4|
|80 LBS||4 1/4|
|90 LBS||4 2/3|
Split the above amounts up over the amount of times per day you want to feed your dog. Pregnant or nursing dogs and puppies may need up to three times the amounts in the chart above.
- If feeding with wet food, reduce dry amount by 1/2 cup for every 6 oz of wet food.
- For dogs over 100 lbs: add 1/4 cup per additional 10 lbs.
The ingredients in this dog food are easy to understand and provide top quality nutrition for your large breed dog. While the price is a bit much for those of us with more than one giant dog, it is a concentrated dog food so a bag will go further than a lot of brands.
If you want to feed your dog close to a raw diet but don’t have time to prepare and cook, this is a dog food that is simple to order and keep on hand. I like that there are no cheap fillers, coloring agents, artificial flavors, or animal digest.