- The 10 Best No-Jump Dog Harnesses For Inspired Dogs - January 9, 2022
- Healing From Within: The Best Dog Foods for Hypothyroidism - January 9, 2022
- Safeguard vs. Panacur (2022 Review & Recall) - January 9, 2022
Large breed dogs grow and develop differently than those that are smaller. The growth period from puppy to adult is much longer for large breeds. It is important for growth to be regulated so that dogs do not grow too fast and stress their bodies. After this point, it’s about maintaining a healthy weight, hips, and joints. Many large breeds also have slower metabolisms which can make it more difficult to control weight during the adult years. My Great Pyrenees, Ruby Pearl, eats the same amount of kibble as a dog half her size but she still seems to stay heavier.
Adirondack Adult Large Breed is specially formulated to meet the needs of dogs over 50 lbs.
- Pork meal, brown rice, grouts, and sorghum combine with chicken fat for a flavor combination dogs really go for.
- Flaxseed and menhaden fish oil offer a valuable source of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. This helps large breed dogs maintain a shiny coat and healthy skin. If your dog suffers from skin issues, flaxseed and fish oil can definitely help eliminate dryness and flaking.
- No corn, wheat, or soy.
- No artificial colors or flavors.
- Brewer’s yeast helps dogs with skin allergies.
- Organic kelp for a natural source of vitamins and trace minerals.
- Probiotics for a happy stomach and better digestion of meals.
Adirondack Adult Large Breed is a good balance of protein and fat that makes it easy to maintain a healthy weight but also provides big dogs with the fatty acids and oils that they need for good joint and hip health.
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oat Groats, Ground Grain Sorghum, Pearled
Barley, Pork Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried
Plain Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Natural
Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Menhaden Fish Oil, Dl-Methionine, L-Lysine,
Salt, Choline Chloride, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product
Dehydrated, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement,
Organic Dried Kelp, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement,
Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Acetate,
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Citric Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic
Acid, Iron Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate,
Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate,
Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate.
Pet food ingredients, nutritional values, and the way they are labeled for consumers are monitored by several organizations in the United States including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the NGO, Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
Each year the AAFCO publishes two sets of nutritional minimum standards for dog food intended to help specify if a food is suitable for:
1. Dogs in the growth & reproduction phases of life
2. Adult dogs maintaining a healthy weight and activity level
3,452 kcal/kg, 386 kcal/cup, 3.4 kcal/g
|Nutritional Component||Value||Meets AAFCO Growth & Reproduction Standards||Meets AAFCO Adult Maintenance Standards|
|CRUDE PROTEIN||23.0% min||–||–|
|CRUDE FAT||12.0% min||–||–|
|CRUDE FIBER||4.0% max||–||–|
|OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS||0.28% min||–||–|
|OMEGA 6 FATTY ACIDS||2.1% min||–||–|
|TOTAL MICROORGANISMS||31,000,000 CFU/lb min|
* – indicates not yet analyzed
Depending on your dog’s size and activity level, they may need more or less food in their daily feeding amounts.
|Weight||Daily Feeding (Cups)|
|40 LBS||2 1/4|
|80 LBS||3 1/2|
|100 LBS||4 1/3|
Gradually replace your current dog food with Adirondack over a 5-7 day period. You can increase this time to 10-14 days if you have a dog that suffers from stomach sensitivities or allergies.
This dog food is great for large and giant breed adult dogs! The formula contains healthy proteins and grains as well as flaxseed, fish oil, and organic kelp. This means your dog is getting a great combination of foods to support their overall health and well-being. This dog food is suitable for big pooches that have allergies or that just need a minimal ingredient dog food that has some great supplements within it for increased immunity and joint support. I know that some pet parents are going grain free but at least Adirondack offers alternative grains like rice, barley, and sorghum rather than corn, wheat, or soy. If you are looking for a large breed dog food that offers a good value for your dollar, then it is worth it to give this formula a try.