If you’re a pet owner, taking care of your dog’s diet will likely be high up on your list of priorities which is why we need to talk about the best canned dog food for Cushing’s. You will always be keen to take care of your pet’s health, ensuring your dog’s life is as long, happy, and healthy as possible. Ensuring they’re eating the best-suited food for them is an excellent way to do this.
But this decision becomes all the more important for a pet with Cushing’s disease. This is a disorder of the endocrine system, and is particularly prevalent amongst older pooches, with the primary ages of diagnosis being between ten and twelve years old. The main effect of Cushing’s is high levels of fat in your pet’s blood, sometimes referred to as hyperlipidemia.
Foods for Cushing’s disease
Treatment for a disease like this will commonly rely on intervention from a veterinarian. But there are also extra things a pet owner can do at home. One of the most valuable things you as an owner can take control of is your pet’s diet. Choosing the right food can make all the difference, both to your animal and to you.
But there can be a problem. There are many different food options on the market, which can any decision seem confusing and difficult. Knowing exactly what to look for in your purchase is essential. On top of this, finding valuable review information from verified customers can help you feel surer you’ve made a satisfactory choice. Luckily for you, we at Scout Knows are here to help. We’ve done the research and created a roundup of the best canned dog food for Cushing’s. Our handy list and buying guide can ensure you don’t end up disappointed – and that you give your dog their best chance for health and happiness!
- Featuring Cage-Free Boneless, Skinless White Breast Meat Chicken
- Minimally Processed And Free Of Grain, Gluten, Gmos, Msgs, Carrageenan And Any Other Bad Stuff....
Choosing which option to purchase can seem complex. Cushing’s disease sufferers will typically be best going for a low-fat diet. Many animals will also benefit from a high-protein diet. Going for dry dog food can often mean a higher carb and high sugar formula. Our roundup of the very best of the canned options means any choice on our list should be suitable for an animal with Cushing’s disease.
Top 5 Rated Foods
|Top Choice||Weruva Grain-Free Canned Dog Food|
|Runner Up||Purina Pro Plan Senior Gravy Wet Dog Food; FOCUS...|
|Budget Choice||Pedigree Chopped Ground Dinner Chicken & Rice...|
|Best All Natural Option||Evangers Grain Free Rabbit 12.8 Oz Dog/Cat Food...|
|Best For Weight Management||Nulo Adult Grain Free Canned Wet Dog Food (Chicken...|
Our Top Pick:
Weruva Grain-Free Canned Dog Food
This food is made primarily of boneless white chicken meat. This is naturally very high in protein and low in fat, making it an ideal basis for a diet of an animal with Cushing’s disease. It contains minimal ingredients, meaning it’s free of many potential ingredients which could cause allergies. These include grains, gluten, GMOs, MSG, preservatives, or artificial colors. Alongside the healthy chicken base, this option has added boosts of specific nutrients, vitamins and minerals, and antioxidants, meaning it’s a great one stop shop to ensure your pet is getting the very best in terms of diet, and all the help they need with their symptoms.
Pros & Cons
- The high-quality ingredients of this option mean owners can rest assured that they know exactly what their pet is eating.
- It’s naturally well suited for helping with the symptoms of Cushing’s disease thanks to its high protein and low sugar and fat.
- Dogs tend to love the natural, meaty taste of this option.
- Some criticize the formulation of this food. They claim it’s too runny, and this makes it very messy to serve and store. This also raises a level of concern about whether there’s enough substance per can, meaning it may not provide very good value for money.
Our Runner-Up Pick:
Purina Pro Plan Senior Gravy Wet Dog Food; FOCUS Morsels in Gravy Beef & Rice Entree
- Twelve (12) 13 oz. Cans - Purina Pro Plan Senior Gravy Wet Dog Food; FOCUS Morsels in Gravy...
- Made with real beef
This food is specifically made to be suited to dogs aged seven or older, who tend to be the main animals at risk of Cushing’s disease. It’s based around beef, which is very high in protein but also has rice to add some healthy carbohydrates. The protein to fat ratio is designed with weight loss and management in mind. It’s also high in omega six fatty acids, which help out with older pooches maintaining healthy skin and coat.
Pros & Cons
- This is a particularly good food option for elderly animals. It can be difficult for owners of older pets to find an option which is suitable, which can make this a real life saver.
- Pets tend to enjoy the delicious, meaty flavor of this canned option. It’s moist and abundant with a flavorful gravy, which many pets really enjoy.
- Many report noticing huge boosts in their pet’s health when switching to this food. This includes things such as weight loss, a healthier, shinier coat, and less skin inflammation, plus improvements in terms of things like diarrhea.
- A select few owners claim to see an adverse reaction to this food. It may be that the formulation is just too rich for those with a more sensitive stomach.
Best Budget Pick:
Pedigree Chopped Ground Dinner Adult Wet Canned Dog Food Chicken & Rice
- Contains Twelve (12) 13.2 Oz. Cans Of Pedigree Chopped Ground Dinner Chicken & Rice Dinner...
- Made With Real Chicken For An Irresistable Taste Dogs Will Love
This option is based around chicken and rice, two fantastic ingredients for those suffering from Cushing’s disease. They’re both high in protein and low in fat, which can alleviate symptoms plus make for a healthier and longer life for your pooch. The meaty taste is something that appeals to the majority of animals, too. It’s designed to be a complete formulation for a healthy diet, meaning you can feed your pet this food exclusively and they won’t be missing out on anything. It can also be mixed with kibble, making it a more versatile option.
Pros and Cons
- One of the main things customers point out about this option is how much their animal loves the taste. Finding a healthy option your pet enjoys is absolutely key. You obviously need to take their health into consideration, but it’s all a moot point if they refuse to eat the balanced diet you provide for them.
- Many pet owners whose animals suffer from stomach issues claim this food has been a real godsend. It can help by offering your pet all the nutrients they need but without any potentially irritating ingredients.
- This option is also ideal for dogs suffering from other allergic reactions. It can minimize problems such as hair loss, skin rashes, itchiness, and irritation.
- Many point out how affordable this option is. Choosing a healthier diet for your pet can be a pricey pursuit, so finding a more affordable yet healthy option can really help out owners.
- Because of the low price, some claim you get what you pay for. The ingredients and formulation of this canned option are likely not as high as other options on our list. Nonetheless, it could be a great way to test out a different style of diet for your animal to see how it goes.
Best All Natural Option:
Evangers Grain Free Rabbit 12.8 Oz Dog/Cat Food
- Grain Free Rabbit Dog/Cat 12.8Oz, Case Of 12
- Made In The Usa
This is a great natural treatment for Cushing’s disease, recommended by holistic vets. It’s one hundred percent natural and contains no fillers or other cheaper and nastier ingredients. It’s also free of corn and wheat, which can make it an excellent option for animals with allergies or sensitive stomachs. The gamey flavor of this brand’s options means your pet will always be excited to eat.
Pros and Cons
- Many claim this is an ideal option to help with older animals’ health issues. Not only can it help treat the symptoms of Cushing’s, but some report it to be useful for dogs who suffer from seizures, and other adverse health conditions related to age.
- The minimal ingredients list is helpful when looking into streamlining a pet’s diet. Going for a more natural option means your pet is eating more closely to how they would in the wild. This can help minimize health conditions, particularly related to being overweight. It’s a great choice for pets with diabetes. It can help stabilize blood sugar levels, so could be ideal for a diabetic dog.
- Many owners say their pets absolutely love the flavor of this food and can’t wait for dinner time.
- An issue with this option can be the difficulty in finding out a comprehensive ingredients list. Some worry that the lists they find online may be out of date or not conclusive.
Best Option For Weight Management:
Nulo Adult & Puppy Grain Free Canned Wet Dog Food
- 12-PACK of 13 oz cans. All natural without the use of corn; wheat; soy; white potatoes;...
- HIGH MEAT/LOW CARB proprietary recipe that is GRAIN FREE and contains more protein/animals...
This option is free of many of the main culprits which can cause weight gain in dogs, including corn, soy, wheat, potatoes, and tapioca. As being overweight is one of the primary health concerns for an older pet (and particularly one with Cushing’s disease), this option can be a super handy choice for pet owners. It’s high meat and low carb, making it more closely related to the natural diet of a pooch. It’s also high in added nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which can keep your dog healthier. Sticking to a low carb diet can be a great way to manage a dog’s weight, plus ensure they’re less affected by symptoms of Cushing’s.
Pros and Cons
- Many say this food has helped out hugely with dogs with a propensity for gaining or carrying too much weight.
- It’s also praised for helping out with many sensitive stomach issues, alongside other issues related to sensitivity such as itchy skin, hair loss, and rashes.
- Many owners of a picky eater say this food is amazing because it’s both healthy for them, and enjoyable in terms of taste. Having food that balances the two can be tricky – so this food could be a rare find.
- Some point out that this food comes at a high price. While this is true, the alternative for many owners of pets who suffer from Cushing’s is a raw diet, which can be far more expansive, plus a huge hassle. In terms of cost-effectiveness, many find this option to be worth it.
Shopping for foods suitable for a pet with Cushing’s disease can seem almost impossible. By doing some research and learning as much as possible about the condition, you can ensure you’ll make a more informed choice. This means not only will you help improve your dog’s health, but also that you can save money and make a satisfactory purchase.
What is Cushing’s disease?
Cushing’s disease is an endocrine disorder which results in too much fat circulating in the blood. It can be diagnosed during routine blood work.
What are the risks of Cushing’s disease?
Pets who suffer from Cushing’s tend to be at a much higher risk of many different health conditions. These include diabetes, pancreatitis, kidney disease, liver disease, and high cholesterol.
Can diet really help?
Many conventional medical treatments for Cushing’s leave a lot to be desired. For this reason, many turn to more natural or holistic methods to help out their pets. One of the most prevalent methods of dealing with Cushing’s is to focus on your pet’s diet. You can also boost your pet’s health with supplements or additional home remedies, such as milk thistle, digestive enzymes, fish oils, or probiotics.
What makes for a good diet for a pet with Cushing’s disease?
The primary thing to consider when choosing food suitable for Cushing’s disease is fat content. It’s also important to consider levels of protein, which can help maintain healthy levels of cholesterol. It’s also important to take into account other conditions your pet may be at risk of alongside Cushing’s. Looking for foods which are suitable for those with allergies or chronic pancreatitis, or at risk of diabetes can be key to keeping your pet in their very best health.
What’s the best diet for a dog with Cushing’s?
Many pet owners dealing with Cushing’s will opt for a home-made diet. Opting for natural ingredients like meat and vegetables, plus optional extras like low-fat cottage cheese, can be a good choice. However, this sort of diet can be expensive and time-consuming to maintain. Luckily, there are premade options on the market. Finding a suitable canned dog food for a Cushing’s sufferer can be a load off your mind, saving you both time and money without compromising your pet’s health.
Frequently Asked Questions
Pet’s with Cushing’s overproduce the hormone cortisol. This is naturally produced by the adrenal gland. A tumor growing on the gland can cause signals to misfire, and too much of a certain hormone’s being produced.
Keeping an eye on your dog’s weight and skin condition can help you notice any changes which could be symptomatic of Cushing’s. Another classic symptom is a heightened thirst and greater production of urine.
Diagnosis of Cushing’s is notoriously difficult. Many of the symptoms are things typically present in older dogs anyway. But with some blood tests, vets can usually see if cortisone and fat levels are high, which can lead to a diagnosis. Another method for diagnosis is the ACTH stimulation test, in which blood is stimulated with cortisol and tested afterward to see its response.
Other Dog Foods For Cushing’s We Reviewed
- Best Dry Food For Cushing’s
- The Best Supplement For Cushing’s
Best Dry Food For Cushing’s
VICTOR Select – Grain Free Yukon River Canine, Dry Dog Food
- Grain Free for dogs with allergies or sensitivity to grain
- All Life Stages formula with premium-quality fish as primary protein source
- This dry food can be handier for pet owners who have a busy lifestyle. Dry food can last longer and be quicker and less messy to serve.
- Going for a dry option doesn’t need to mean something high in carbs and fats and lower in protein. It’s full of amino acids, vitamins, and minerals.
- This food is perfect for dogs with stomachs sensitive to meat, as it’s entirely based around fish. Fish is a naturally high protein and low-fat choice.
- This option is also free of grains and other potential allergens.
- One downside to this option is that it’s very expensive. However, if you’re looking for an effective treatment, it could actually be quite cost-effective.
Best Supplement For Cushing’s
Fur Goodness Sake Best Cushings Treatment for Dogs – Adrenal Support
- CUSHING'S DISEASE IN DOGS? While other adrenal support products may cause irritation,...
- HERBS FOR DOGS - Adrenal Balance is 100% herbal remedy formulated to provide natural adrenal...
- Many owners of pet’s suffering with Cushing’s can also help out their animal with additional dietary support. This liquid option is a great choice if that’s the case.
- This supplement is designed to help restore balance to cortisol and fat levels in the blood.
- It’s extremely handy, thanks to its liquid formulation, and can be added to any other food to boost its efficacy.
- Many attest to the effectiveness of this treatment, citing happier and healthier pets after introducing this to their diets.
- However, there are some customers who dispute claims that this is an effective treatment. While it may well be worth trying, it could also be worth contacting a vet or medical professional to help come up with a proven treatment plan.
Making good choices for a pet with Cushing’s can seem difficult. But by carefully looking after your pet’s diet, you can make a real difference to their happiness and health.
Have you ever tried a canned food designed for Cushing’s? Which was your favorite? Let us know in the comments below!
If you want to learn more about other specialized dog food options, we have many handy articles to help you out. Learn about low glycemic dogs foods, foods for dog’s with diabetes, or raw dog food brands with us!