Adirondack reminds me a lot of the approach that Diamond Naturals takes to create a balanced dog food that is high quality and not overpriced. Adirondack 21% offers total nutrition for dogs at all life stages. I would recommend Adirondack with no reservations. Pet parents should understand that this food is not grain-free.
- Brown rice is the main grain.
- Pork meal and chicken provide the meaty goodness and protein your dog loves and needs for strong muscles and maintaining a healthy body weight.
- Sorghum adds natural sweetness.
- Whole ground flax seeds and menhaden fish oil provide good levels of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which help combat skin allergies and helps with coat condition. Dogs that experience itchiness and flaking may find some relief after they switch over to a dog food like this.
- Probiotics in every bite help with digestion and ensure that your dog gets the most nutrition out of their meals.
- No corn, wheat, or soy.
- No artificial colors or flavors.
- Minimal ingredients. This dog food is simple yet complete so it is suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
- Made in the USA
I like that this formula contains organic kelp powder. Kelp powder is a natural source of essential vitamins and minerals. Some pet parents believe that kelp also offers a boost to the immune system and better health in general.
Pork Meal, Brown Rice, Ground Grain Sorghum, Oat Groats, Pearled Barley,
Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Plain Beet Pulp,
Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride,
Menhaden Fish Oil, Dl-Methionine, Lactobacillus Acidophilus
Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Vitamin E
Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Organic Dried Kelp,
D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12
Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Acetate, Pyridoxine
Hydrochloride, Citric Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Iron
Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate,
Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate,
Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate.
Pet food ingredients, nutritional values, and the way they are labeled for consumers are monitored by several organizations in the United States including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the NGO, Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
Each year the AAFCO publishes two sets of nutritional minimum standards for dog food intended to help specify if a food is suitable for:
1. Dogs in the growth & reproduction phases of life
2. Adult dogs maintaining a healthy weight and activity level
3,416 kcal/kg, 368.6 kcal/cup, 3.4 kcal/g
|Nutritional Component||Value||Meets AAFCO Growth & Reproduction Standards||Meets AAFCO Adult Maintenance Standards|
|CRUDE PROTEIN||21.0% min||–||–|
|CRUDE FAT||12.0% min||–||–|
|CRUDE FIBER||4.0% max||–||–|
|OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS||0.32% min||–||–|
|OMEGA 6 FATTY ACIDS||1.85% min||–||–|
|TOTAL MICROORGANISMS||31,000,000 CFU/lb min|
* – indicates not yet analyzed
Depending on your dog’s size and activity level, they may need more or less food in their daily feeding amounts.
|Weight||Daily Feeding (Cups)|
|20 LBS||1 1/3|
|40 LBS||2 1/4|
|60 LBS||3 1/2|
To switch your dog to Adirondack simply replace a portion of their typical dog food with Adirondack over the course of 7-10 days. If you have a very sensitive dog then transition over 14 days.
Adirondack 21% Adult Dog Food is a good choice for pet parents that want an affordable quality dog food with basic ingredients and no artificial colors or flavors. It is easy to get Adirondack online with fast shipping. For those with smaller dogs, there is a 5 lb and 15 lb size. Unlike some dog foods, the smaller sizes don’t cost a lot more per pound. If you have a picky dog and just want to try Adirondack and see how well your dog likes it then go with the smaller bag.