- The 10 Best No-Jump Dog Harnesses For Inspired Dogs - July 16, 2022
- Cheaper Alternative to Blue Buffalo Dog Food - July 15, 2022
- Healing From Within: The Best Dog Foods for Hypothyroidism - January 9, 2022
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Lamb & Brown Rice dry dog food offers high-quality meat and fish protein as the first ingredients in this impressive formula designed with adult dogs in mind.
- Lamb is the first ingredient. For those that are not aware, lamb isn’t raised with as much GMO grain as a lot of other protein sources like chicken or beef.
- Fish meal is a helpful source of Omega 3- and 6 fatty acids which can help your dog’s skin and coat. This food is a great way to make sure adult dog’s with sensitive skin get the oils they need for relief.
- No artificial coloring or flavoring agents.
- No corn, wheat, soy, or poultry by-products.
- Chelated vitamins and minerals help support a strong immune system for a long and active life!
- Glucosamine added to encourage healthy joints and hips. If you have an active or just a big dog then glucosamine is an ingredient to look for in a daily kibble.
- Probiotics make it easier for your dog to digest their food and get the most nutrition they can out of each meal.
Blue Buffalo has their own specially formulated blend of natural antioxidant foods and nutrients to make sure your dog is performing at their best and has the free radical fighting power to stay strong and healthy. The formula contains kelp, barley grass, parsley, and alfalfa. While this may seem strange to see in dog food, I am glad that Blue Buffalo has realized that dogs do like to eat grass for a reason. When dogs had a wilder and more natural diet they ate plenty of veggies and grass. There is evidence that it helps calm their stomachs as well as provide nutritional benefits.
Deboned Lamb, Menhaden Fish Meal (Source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Barley, Pea Starch, Peas, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Flaxseed (Source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Dried Tomato Pomace, Lamb Meal, Pea Protein, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Potatoes, Dried Chicory Root, Pea Fiber, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Dl-Methionine, Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Garlic, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice For Color, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Turmeric, L-Carnitine, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), L-Lysine, Copper Sulfate, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Taurine, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil of Rosemary.
Pet food ingredients, nutritional values, and the way they are labeled for consumers are monitored by several organizations in the United States including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the NGO, Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
Each year the AAFCO publishes two sets of nutritional minimum standards for dog food intended to help specify if a food is suitable for:
1. Dogs in the growth & reproduction phases of life
2. Adult dogs maintaining a healthy weight and activity level
3,613 kcal/kg, 377 kcal/cup
|Nutritional Component||Value||Meets AAFCO Growth & Reproduction Standards||Meets AAFCO Adult Maintenance Standards|
|CRUDE PROTEIN||22.0% min||–||–|
|CRUDE FAT||14.0% min||–||–|
|CRUDE FIBER||5.0% max||–||–|
|OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS||0.75% min|
|OMEGA 6 FATTY ACIDS||2.0% min|
|GLUCOSAMINE||400 mg/kg min|
* – indicates not yet analyzed
Over 7-14 days replace a small portion of your dog’s current food with your chosen formula of Blue Buffalo. If your dog is not really sensitive to food changes you may reduce the period to 5 days. Dogs with allergies and other health concerns may do better with a 7-14 day transition.
|Weight||Daily Feeding (cup)|
|UP TO 15 LBS||1/4 – 1 1/4|
|16 – 25 LBS||1 1/4 – 1 3/4|
|26 – 40 LBS||1 3/4 – 2 1/2|
|41 – 60 LBS||2 1/2 – 3 1/2|
|61 – 80 LBS||3 1/2 – 4 1/4|
|81 – 100 LBS||4 1/4 – 5|
|OVER 100 LBS||Feed 5, plus 1/2 cup for each additional 20 lbs|
Clean water is essential to the health of your dog and encourages them to drink after eating which can help with dental issues. Some dogs do best when feeding amounts are broken up into two meals per day rather than one large one.
The Bottom Line
I give this formula 5 paws up. Although it does contain some grains, some dogs do better with a bit in their diet. I don’t think being entirely grain free is necessary to have an excellent dog food but you do have to be careful about the type of grain and how big a percentage of the dog food is grain.
In terms of value, the cost is excellent for a lamb based dog food from a reputable company that takes the overall health and wellbeing of your dog seriously.
If you prefer something affordable, check out our list of cheaper alternatives to Blue Buffalo dog food products. Check also our review for Blue Buffalo Life Protection chicken and brown rice dog food.
Top 5 Rated Best Non-Prescription Diabetic Dog Food
Blue Buffalo Freedom Small Breed Adult Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Review