- The 10 Best No-Jump Dog Harnesses For Inspired Dogs - July 16, 2022
- Cheaper Alternative to Blue Buffalo Dog Food - July 15, 2022
- Healing From Within: The Best Dog Foods for Hypothyroidism - January 9, 2022
Canidae is a great dog food for just about any dog. They go the extra mile to make sure your dog is getting the best and nothing more.
- Limited ingredient formula makes for a dog food that offers an option for dogs that are sensitive to a lot of other dog foods. In fact, you may be able to replace some expensive prescription dog foods with this easy to order formula.
- Probiotics help maximize nutrient absorption and ease digestion so your dog gets the most out of each and every meal.
- Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids help keep skin and coat in great condition. This means that dogs that are suffering from allergies or other skin conditions can benefit from this great formula.
- Fresh duck is the first ingredient.
- No artificial colors or flavors.
- Sweet potatoes add some starchy sweetness.
- No antibiotics, hormones, gluten, corn, wheat, or soy.
I like that Canidae keeps it simple and takes pride in producing great dog food. It is reassuring that they say that there is no hormones or antibiotics in this formula. I have to say that duck is a protein that has to be produced a certain way. I raise geese and have raised ducks in the past and know for a fact that you cannot use medicated feeds.
If you are trying to avoid GMOs and residues from big agriculture like glyphosate (the active ingredient in Round-Up), this is the food for your dog.
You can feel good about supporting companies that avoid the use of ingredients that are not only harmful to the environment but your dog as well.
Duck, Duck Meal, Turkey Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Peas, Chicken Fat, Potatoes, Sun-cured Alfalfa, Natural Flavor, Minerals (Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (A Natural Source of Vitamin E).
CANIDAE Grain Free PURE Sky Dog Dry Formula with Fresh Duck, 24 lbs
Pet food ingredients, nutritional values, and the way they are labeled for consumers are monitored by several organizations in the United States including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the NGO, Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
Each year the AAFCO publishes two sets of nutritional minimum standards for dog food intended to help specify if a food is suitable for:
1. Dogs in the growth & reproduction phases of life
2. Adult dogs maintaining a healthy weight and activity level
1,850 kcal/lb, 520 kcal/cup
|Nutritional Component||Value||Meets AAFCO Growth & Reproduction Standards||Meets AAFCO Adult Maintenance Standards|
|CRUDE PROTEIN||32.0% min||–||–|
|CRUDE FAT||16.0% min||–||–|
|CRUDE FIBER||4.0% max||–||–|
|LINOLEIC ACID (OMEGA-6)||3.5% min||–||–|
|ALPHA LINOLEIC ACID (OMEGA-3)||0.35% min||–||–|
|LACTOBACILLUS ACIDOPHILUS||100,000,000 CFU/lb min|
|CELLULASE||100 CMCU/kg min|
|VITAMIN E||50 IU/kg min|
* – indicates not yet analyzed
Transitioning is usually pretty easy with a limited ingredient formula like that offered by Canidae. A normal transition can be done over 5-10 days by gradually replacing your dog’s regular dog food with Canidae until a full transition is made. Super sensitive dogs can be transitioned over 14 days but this is not usually necessary.
Depending on your dog’s size and activity level, they may need more or less food in their daily feeding amounts.
|Weight||Daily Feeding (Cups)||Reduced Activity Daily Feeding (cup)|
|2-10 LBS||1/2 – 3/4||1/4 – 1/2|
|10-25 LBS||3/4 – 1||1/2 – 3/4|
|25-50 LBS||1 – 2||3/4 – 1|
|50-75 LBS||2 – 3||1 – 1 1/2|
|75-100 LBS||3 – 4||1 1/2 – 2 1/2|
|100-125 LBS||4 – 4 3/4||2 1/2 – 3|
|125-150 LBS||4 3/4 – 5 1/2||3 – 3 1/2|
This is awesome dog food that I recommend with no reservations. Of course, some dogs do have allergies but the minimal ingredient formula combined with quality ingredients that are not GMO or full of antibiotics and hormones dramatically reduces the chances that your dog will have any ill effects. If your dog has a lot of health issues then you should consult a vet before making any food changes regardless of what you are switching them to.