- How to Figure Out Your Dog’s Age - January 8, 2022
- Prescription Diet Dog Food Guide and Recommendations - December 12, 2019
- How To Take Care of Your Bichon Frise (Grooming Tips) - December 12, 2019
With labels reading “30% less fat” and “fresh, farm-raised chicken” as the main ingredient, Bil-Jac Reduced Fat Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food is eye-catching. Bil-Jac’s super-premium formula includes wholesome essential vitamins and minerals that provide a balanced and nutritious diet for your adult dog. Naturally-sourced omega-3 and 6 fatty acids assist in maintaining your canine’s skin and coat shiny and bright.
Bil-Jac Reduced Fat Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food had the following key benefits:
- Bil-Jac’s fresh, farm-raised chicken provides lower protein and 30% less fat than Bil-Jac Adult Select food.
- Oatmeal and cornmeal are slow-cooked to produce low-glycemic, simple carbohydrates to fuel your pooch’s energy needs.
- Bil Jac’s Proprietary Nutri-Lock low-temperature enables moisture to be extracted from the ingredients without compromising the natural fats or nutritional value of the meat. This is done through its vacuum-drying process.
- Naturally-sourced omega-3 and 6 fatty acids provide a complete and balanced nutrition for older dogs. In addition, these nutrients help nourish your dog’s skin, giving him/her a smooth and lustrous coat.
- Bil-Jac’s formula does not contain any fillers, gluten meals, wheat, soy, sprayed-on rendered fat, or protein concentrate.
- Bil-Jac’s products are proudly made in the USA since 1947.
The label reads that the chicken by-products used are from organs only. It is unfortunate that cornmeal and by-products are above meat, closely followed by dried beet pulp, a common filler. For the price point, there are much better options which you can see in our brand reviews.
Chicken By-Products (organs only, source of arginine), Corn Meal, Chicken, Dried Beet Pulp, Oatmeal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Flaxseed, Choline Chloride, Sodium Propionate (a preservative), DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Vitamin A Acetate, Copper Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Inositol, Manganese Proteinate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Mixed Tocopherols and BHA (preservatives), Manganous Oxide, Cobalt Proteinate, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract.
Bil-Jac Real Chicken Soft Treats for Dogs 2 Flavor Variety Bundle: (1) Bil-Jac Original Recipe Liver Treats, and (1) Bil-Jac Gooberliscious Peanut Butter Flavor Treats, 10 Oz. Ea. (2 bags)
Pet food ingredients, nutritional values, and the way they are labeled for consumers are monitored by several organizations in the United States including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the NGO, Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
Each year the AAFCO publishes two sets of nutritional minimum standards for dog food intended to help specify if a food is suitable for:
1. Dogs in the growth & reproduction phases of life
2. Adult dogs maintaining a healthy weight and activity level
3633 kcal/kg; 350 kcal/cup
|Nutritional Component||Value||Meets AAFCO Growth & Reproduction Standards||Meets AAFCO Adult Maintenance Standards|
|CRUDE PROTEIN||17.0% min||–||–|
|CRUDE FAT||10.0% min||–||–|
|CRUDE FAT||12.5% max||–||–|
|CRUDE FIBER||5.0% max|
|OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS||2.10% min|
|OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS||0.20% min|
* – indicates not yet analyzed
Usually, when transitioning from an older food to a new one, it is recommended that you gradually increase the new food to old. However, it’s always a good idea to check with your pup’s veterinarian prior to making a change to your canine’s diet.
|Weight||Daily Feeding (cup)|
|10 LBS OR LESS||1/4 – 1/2|
|10 – 20 LBS||1/2 – 1|
|20 – 30 LBS||1 -1 1/2|
|30 – 40 LBS||1 1/2 – 2|
|40 – 60 LBS||2 – 3|
|60 – 80 LBS||3 – 4|
|80 – 100 LBS||4- 4 1/2|
Bil-Jac recommends feeding Bil-Jac® Reduced Fat Formula on a scheduled and controlled basis.
When it comes to adult dogs, most older pups like to eat once a day. However, in some instances, some adult dogs need specific feeding needs and schedules. Start with the feeding chart and then make adjustments to your pup’s portions according to the environment and how active your little one is. More important, make sure to make adjustments in order to maintain your dog’s proper weight and condition.
Make sure to always have fresh water.
The Bottom Line
Bil-Jac Reduced Fat Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food is made from premium, farm-raised chicken that provides 30% less fat than Bil-Jac Adult Select food.
Bil-Jac’s dry dog food is meant to be fed to your pooch as a weight control diet. If your older dog is a little on the plump side, Bil-Jac Reduced Fat Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food seems to be a good formula to start with. As always, remember to consult with your canine’s veterinarian before you make any changes to your baby’s diet.
Please note: Bil-Jac comes in a 30 pound bag that must be stored in a cool and dry storage area.
If you love Bil-Jac’s dog food, check out our buyer’s guide and review for Bil-Jac dog food products.
Nulo All Natural Dog Food: Freestyle Limited Plus Grain Free Puppy & Adult Dry Dog Food – Limited Ingredient Diet for Digestive & Immune Health – Allergy Sensitive Non GMO Turkey Recipe – 22 lb Bag
Halo Holistic Chicken & Chicken Liver Adult Dry Dog Food Review
Chicken Soup for the Soul Large Breed Adult Dry Dog Food Review